- I hate spending money on anything, but definitely on materialistic things. I’ve never been the type of person to have the newest phone, the most expensive handbag, or the latest ring. I wouldn’t say I’m the greatest budgeter (although I’ve gotten better over time), but I choose to spend my money on experiences (e.g. travel) rather than things. P.s. Don’t forget to check out the Shop part of my website for a free $25 from Booking.com!
- I have four tattoos, much to my mother’s displeasure. However, when I’m working or even in normal clothes, you can’t see them; this doesn’t mean they are anywhere naughty, but I just choose to get them places that aren’t on show 24/7. One of them represents my Nana, another my cousin who passed away, and the last two my love of Hawaii – I like to get ones that I won’t regret when I’m 80 years old!
- I’m the worst packer when traveling. I over-pack, and even when I think I am being super limited (like the trip I was on when I wrote this), my suitcase is always over weight, my carry-on bag is stuffed full and my personal bag is bursting also. But I don’t feel like I take too much stuff?! I always wear everything I pack… someone help me learn how to pack more efficiently!
- I was captain of both my sports teams in high school (cricket and soccer) but haven’t played either sport since… whoops.
- I learnt New Zealand Sign Language in University, but only remember the alphabet and a few random words.
- I’m a really bad sleeper. I wake up at least 2-3 times during the night. A good night for me is waking up 1-3 times, a bad night is waking up 5+ times a night. Luckily I can roll over and go back to sleep pretty easily but it means I have some weird dreams as I’m in REM state a lot…. Which leads to the next point…
- I dream things and then they happen to me in real life. I don’t necessarily remember the dreams at the time, but I’ll get a “déjà vu” feeling and I can remember exactly that dream and when I had it (sometimes it’ll be 4 months ago, sometimes only weeks before). It’s very strange and I wish I could dream my lotto numbers!
- I have a weird connection with the number 33 and my mum has one with the number 11. Ever since I was about 10 years old, I remember seeing the number 33 on the clock. It started out being 9.33, 3.33 and 6.33 (all the multiples of 3), and I remember first noticing it in my Nana and Poppas car. It has followed me everywhere since – traveling around Europe with my mum in 2009, I saw 33 everywhere and she saw 11; train platforms, plane numbers, even table numbers at restaurants. When my Nana passed away, my mum called me to tell me the next morning and she passed away at 3.33 in the morning. Not 3.32 or 3.34 but 3.33… My Nana passed away at the end of October, but due to a few things, it was a longer process than normal. She ended up being buried on the 11/11/11. Crazy huh? Another story about the 33 – I applied for the Green Card Lottery for the USA in 2014. It was around 10am Hawaii time when I was filling out the application form. Once submitted, it said “your application has been received at 3.33pm EST”. I said to myself “I bet you I get it because of that sign” and low and behold, months later I found out I won and I am now an American permanent resident.
- I don’t drink coffee, tea or energy drinks. So when I’m tired, there’s no pick me up. I pretty much only drink water and hot chocolates, and of course wine/beer/cider/vodka when it’s the right time and place.
- I’ve got dual citizenship with Australia and New Zealand (thanks parents for being born in different countries!) and I’m also a permanent resident of the USA. Very lucky. Now I just have to marry someone from Europe to get that European passport…
- And lucky last… I’m super lucky to be on this earth; my mum couldn’t have children after having my brother the old fashioned way but they knew they wanted another baby so decided to give in-vitro fertilization (IVF) a go. The government didn’t use to fund it back in the day (they now fund two rounds of IVF IF you’re eligible) so they could only afford to try it once. The success rate for IVF on the first go is not very high (it is getting higher as the years go on), but luckily for them it worked! And now here I am 🙂
Liking and sharing is appreciated!